We serve one in five Rhode Islanders.
Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island (Neighborhood) is a not-for-profit 501c3 health maintenance organization (HMO) insurance company with a consistent record of earning accreditation by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). Founded in partnership with Rhode Island’s Community Health Centers in December 1993, we are governed by a 17-person board.
We served our first 1,490 members in 1994, and by 2000, we grew to 50,000 members. Starting in November 2013 through the introduction of the Affordable Care Act and state leadership’s decision to extend coverage to more Rhode Islanders, Neighborhood has significantly increased its membership, revenue, and staff. In 2024, Neighborhood celebrates 30 years of service.
Today, Neighborhood—with 650 employees and $1.6 billion in revenue—serves one out of every five Rhode Islanders with approximately 230,000 members. *
- About 84 percent of our membership is Medicaid eligible through our ACCESS and TRUST
- About 6 percent of our members utilize our INTEGRITY Medicare-Medicaid Plan (MMP).
- About 6 percent of our membership represents individuals, families and small businesses who select one of eleven Neighborhood commercial plans available through the health exchange, Of these members, about 85 percent qualify for federal subsidies to cover a portion of their costs.
*Figures are based on trends as of April 2023.
Our large provider network means easy access to care.
Neighborhood provides its members access to comprehensive health care services throughout Rhode Island through its large provider network.
- More than 1,800 primary care practitioners
- More than 5,100 specialists
- More than 5,000 behavioral health providers
- All hospitals in the state
- Nearly every pharmacy in the state
Neighborhood works in strong partnership with Rhode Island’s community health centers.
Approximately 50 percent of Neighborhood’s members receive primary care at one of the 30 community health centers (CHCs) in the state. Working together, we ensure our members receive the right care, at the right time, in the right place. Neighborhood also supports the work of Rhode Island Health Center Association, which advocates on behalf of our community health centers, of which most are federally qualified health centers (FQHCs). These centers provide health care—primary medical, oral health, behavioral health services—for Medicaid and uninsured patients. As founders of Neighborhood, the CHCs are the visionaries who have formed a strong safety net for Rhode Island’s vulnerable populations.
Here are quick links to Rhode Island’s Community Health Centers.
- Blackstone Valley Community Health Care, Inc.
- Block Island Health Services
- CCAP/Family Health Services
- East Bay Community Action Program
- Providence Community Health Centers
- Thundermist Health Center
- Tri-County Community Action Agency
- WellOne Primary Medical and Dental Care
- Wood River Health Services